Tuesday, September 9, 2008

What a Drag

Rode the Bak down to the grocery store today. About 7 miles total, downhill on the way there and uphill on the way back. It was the first real ride since the ride home on Sunday.

The bike seemed much heavier & harder to pedal than the Bak I rented last month. I know the new version is slightly heavier and has a different seatpost angle, so I thought that must be the reason.

Then I got home, put it on the stand, and gave the front wheel a spin to see how the generator light looked. No spin! The front brake was dragging. No wonder it was so much harder to get around than I'd remembered. I feel silly now, knowing what the problem is, but I honestly thought then that that must just be what it was like getting 300 pounds of bike + me + baby + groceries uphill.

It was after dark (which is why I was playing with the light), but I found the adjustment barrel and was able to back the brake off slightly. A good spin of the wheel will now get maybe two or three revolutions. Still nothing like free rotation.

Sunrise will bring a closer inspection.

No comments: